WHERE IS IT?
The Clock/Sahat Tower complex is located at the entrance to the Upper Town of the Belgrade Fortress.
Click on the map to get directions.
WHY THIS NAME?
The whole complex was named after the tower on which the clock was located, but the gate was formerly known as Kornar's gate, after architect Andrea Cornaro who had designed it. Andrea Cornaro was a Venetian architect, who built for both the Austrians, during their short rule between 1688 and 1690, and for the Ottomans, after Belgrade had once again fallen under the Turkish rule. His enigmatic life has led to many Austrians labeling him as a spy who worked for the Ottoman Empire. His turbulent life ended near today's city of Pirot, where he has spent the last years of his life.
The complex consists of gates with matching side rooms, the Clock Tower, and partially demolished Upper Town walls. The current Clock Tower was built during the end of the 17th century and beginning of the 18th century, under the supervision of Andrea Cornaro. It was built during the turmoil over Belgrade between the Austrian and Ottoman empires. Later parts of the gate, which are now used as the Museum of the Belgrade Fortress, were built during the second Austrian rule in the period of 1717 to1739. The clock tower was built from 1740 to 1789, and then the tower was renovated in the middle of the 19th century. The clock tower is one of the few buildings part of the Belgrade Fortress that did not suffer any significant damage, meaning that even today it preserves all the authentic architectural and stylistic features.